About Us

       

    The origins of Shiloh Baptist Church began in a meeting house constructed by the community around 1835. This meeting house was called Taylor’s Branch Meeting House and was located near the place where the current Shiloh now stands. The meeting house was free for all denominations to use, but no church was organized at that time.


    In 1851, Reverend Alfred Guy of Duplin County came to the meeting house and held a protracted meeting where many people made a profession of faith in Christ and were baptized.


    On May 6, 1852, Shiloh Baptist Church was constituted in the Taylor’s Branch Meeting House by members with letters from Moore’s Creek, Wells Chapel, and Lebanon Baptist Churches, together with new converts who had recently been baptized. Reverend George Fennel preached the sermon and was moderator of the conference that constituted the church. Brother George A. Herring was elected the first clerk of the church, and Brethren Owen Fryer and Robert Eakins were elected the first deacons.


    In 1906, Shiloh completed the first sanctuary, which was at the time one of the most beautiful country church houses in the Wilmington Association and it was dedicated to the Master’s service on the third Sunday in July 1906. The Sunday school rooms were built around 1926. In 1955, the first parsonage was built, and the church went full time.  A new Educational building was constructed in 1961, and a new (the current) sanctuary was built in 1969.ons.

    In 1906, Shiloh completed the first sanctuary, which was at the time one of the most beautiful country church houses in the Wilmington Association and it was dedicated to the Master’s service on the third Sunday in July 1906. The Sunday school rooms were built around 1926. In 1955, the first parsonage was built, and the church went full time.  A new Educational building was constructed in 1961, and a new (the current) sanctuary was built in 1969.

    Click below to view our Church Covenant and Constitution and By-Laws

    Shiloh.pdf